Friday 12 July 2013

The End of Life on Earth


Death is inevitably part of life. In general it seems that the longer someone lives the more they experience death. I would be quite surprised if anyone in their twenties did not have someone close to them die during their lifetime. While I have sorrowed over the loss of family, friends, and relations I have had the opportunity to be present and near close to and during the death of many more people, many of whom I have not known for long or never even had the chance to get to know who they are. Others I have gotten to know over months or weeks and have a closed bond to them and have learned to care a great deal for them.

I count it a privilege to be able to be near someone during their last days, hours, and minute on earth. There is a great opportunity in this time to share with them the saving power of Jesus Christ. Knowing the faith of someone at the end of their life is one of the most exciting things in the world even through the pain and sorrow of the loss. Praying, singing, and comforting patients nearing death may be overlooked as often they are fairly unresponsive but I am sure that though the affects may not be seen there is comfort and peace that these things bring.

The EWF comfort home has a very good percentage of patients that are able to be discharged and return home with continuing treatment. We are very thankful for this and are very happy with the patients when they are able to return to their homes especially for those who have had a long battle and whom we have gotten to know quite well. Most often though there are also patients who are very sick and who do not respond as well to treatment or have come to advanced in their sickness to return to health. Many of these patients come to the hospice because there is no one to care for them full time at home. I am thankful for the families who care enough to want their loved ones cared for well up until their death. Being there for the patient but also for the family is very important at the hospice. It is often very hard for the staff to know when to and how to call the family to tell them that their loved one is very close to death. Yet as I have seen very often very concerned and loving staff tactfully and wisely make these decisions and inform the patients and family in the best way they possibly can.
                
             I thank God that through my missions with EWF I have been given the opportunity to learn from the staff at the hospice and be part of the lives and deaths of the patients. I consider this very benefiting to my experience in life and also now to my future career. In this aspect, as well in many others, I think I have been blessed to be ahead in my abilities as a future nurse and this is just another way I can see God working in my life for the plans for my future both before I had even made my career plans and now that I am actively working towards them.


Laina

No comments:

Post a Comment