Sunday 21 July 2013

Friends and Goodbyes.

I have been richly blessed. Each of my trips to Richmond SA I have learned and experienced new things as well as enjoyed familiar things. This time I feel like I really know the people of Richmond and the staff of EWF much more than I have ever been able to in the past. I thought I knew a lot about the culture in Richmond but now after learning much more I look back and realize that I had just learned the surface. I had learned what I could see about the culture in the past. Now there are many people who have explained the culture to me, brought me places where I could firsthand see and experience the culture, and answered lots of my questions.

I started by carefully forming my questions in order not to offend or disrespect anyone. By now I know many of the staff well enough that if it’s just us I feel comfortable saying, “Why do they do that,” or, “Why is it like this.” Sometimes I will just look with a questioning look and they know I am interested in an explanation and they are great in answering then or later when we are alone. They know I am not being rude or disrespectful just very interested in learning everything about the culture of the place and people that I love.

I have definitely spent a lot more time in town and in the shops than I ever have in the past. This means that I know some people in the shops; I’m just hoping that when I come back I will be able to still remember faces and names. Unfortunately for me many people recognize me, I stand out a bit, but I have a harder time remembering many faces and names. Just yesterday someone came to say hello when I was getting out of the vehicle. I knew that it was someone that I have seen many times but I just couldn’t place where I had seen him. He recognized this and quickly reminded me that he was the parking guard at Spar, one of the two grocery stores. After finding out that, no I was not married, he asked me to marry him but I regretfully declined as I was heading back home in two days. He said he would see me the next time I came to Richmond and be looking for me. The other Parking guard at Spar I will probably remember more as I have seen him more often lately. In fact last week my trips to the store where frequent enough that when I was there on Friday he greeted me with a grin from ear to ear and asked how I was doing today. He has been working there for a very long time as I understand so I will be sure to see him again.           

Today as Ntsiki and I were talking on the veranda at the guest house a woman past by the gate and called out to me. At this time I still do not know who she is and where I met her. But I must have had a conversation with her at one time because of the words she called to me. She said, “Bye, bye Canadian, have a good travel back to Canada tomorrow.” Yes so more people know me than I can remember sadly.

The people I do know in the community are some that I met at church or just met when I was in town. I know people from the police station, fire station, the court house, municipality, FNB bank, both grocery stores, and some other little shops. Oh and the garages. I appreciate knowing these people as they are able to assist me in many areas and help me to feel at home in Richmond. I don’t know if I will be remembered when I come next in future years but I pray that I will remember some of the dear people I have met in the past three months.

The staff of EWF have been really good to me in the past three months. Not only are they my friends but many of them have been like family to me. I may not know everything about each one of the staff but in my opinion I know many of them. I know their phone numbers, where they live, many of their children, and have learned some of their life stories as well. I can whistle along to ntsiki’s ring tone, I know some of the favorite foods of the staff, and I know pineapple cooee is Sanele’s favorite but he doesn’t buy it because he knows that I don’t like pineapple. I know Busi’s I know how the staff like to cook and eat the food that we have many days enjoyed together. The sound of their voices, laughs, and walk is familiar to me. We can talk to each other without saying words and communicate just by a look. These things and many others is how I know that I know these very dear friends of mine.

Times change and I know that the next time I am in Richmond I will find that here to things change. It’s hard to come to the same place and see differences yet I know that it is an inevitable part of life and therefore should be expected and managed. I am anticipating the next time I am in Richmond already though I have not yet left. Even more so I look forward to seeing the people that I have come to love. I told a friend yesterday that it comforted me that while I hoped and planned to see her again on this earth I would always know that one day we would be meeting somewhere much better. While she said she looks forward to that day she said very firmly that I would be and better be seeing her before that day. We parted with hugs, kisses, and laughter that I will remember for a long time.

I pray that tomorrow when I say goodbye too many more of my friends that we would be able to cry and be sad as we part but that the day would also be full of laughter and joy as much of our time together has been. There has been many memories made and things accomplished in the past three months and I pray that it may be so in the future as well for the staff of EWF. They will be in my thoughts and prayers very often.


Laina

No comments:

Post a Comment