Wednesday 17 April 2013


My hope for this blog is be able to share my experiences as I travel to Richmond South Africa (SA) for the summer to volunteer with Emmanuel's Wish foundation (EWF). Information about EWF is available on their website at emmanuelswish.org

I first became involved with EWF in my early teens and with their organization I traveled with a team to SA in both 2009 and 2011. During my first volunteer experience I spent most of my time in an orphanage while my second trip I helped mostly in the Comfort Home Hospice that EWF had recently opened. Through my experience of volunteering at the hospice I realized my love of caring and it motivated me to apply for and now attend the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BScN) program at Georgian College.

Having now completed a certificate program in Health Sciences and almost one year of the BScN program I am excited to use what I have learned in school to help the community of Richmond. While I am unsure of everything I will be doing in SA, I know that I will be at the hospice and at a daycare both run by EWF. I am eager to be part of these programs and to do any other activities that I am able to do in order to help.

At present I am finishing exams and then it will be a whirlwind of activity to finish everything I need to do before the 26th of April when I leave. Hopefully the seven days between finishing school and leaving will be enough time to bring all the plans together and keep calm before leaving. Many thanks for the support I have received to go to SA and the thoughts and prayers for me as well.

Laina

No comments:

Post a Comment